NEW!! Kris Magnussen, Registered Nurse at LLHD, discusses Falls Prevention with the Waterford Senior Buzz. Click here to listen to the podcast.
Falls is a significant and largely preventable public health problem and the leading cause of death by unintentional injury in Connecticut. Statistics show that 1 in 3 older adults is at risk for a fall. A fall with injury is often the beginning of a serious decline for older adults that can include hospitalizations, surgery, and nursing home admission.
Ledge Light Health District’s Falls Prevention Coalition was formed with diverse community partners in May 2014. The coalition’s mission is to identify needs and resources to help decrease the incidence of falls in our senior population. Any community partner or individual interested in forming the coalition can contact Kris Magnussen at 860-448-4882 ext. 331 or email@example.com.
Free-In Home Safety Evaluations
Falls Prevention Resource Guide
The LLHD Falls Prevention Coalition developed the following resource guide on falls prevention for seniors. It is divided into four sections that MAPS out how to prevent falls: Medications, Assessment, Physical activity, and Safety. Click the image below to download a copy of the resource guide.
General Falls Prevention Resources:
- LLHD Falls Prevention Resource Guide
- LLHD Falls Prevention Coalition Falls Prevention Flier
- CDC Compendium of Effective Fall Interventions
- Fall Prevention Tip Sheet
- Recommended Fall Prevention Resources
- National Action Plan
- 6 Steps to Prevent a Fall
- Healthy CT 2020 State Health Assessment
- Health CT 2020 State Health Improvement Plan
- CT Collaboration for Fall Prevention
- National Institute of Health- Fall Prevention
- CDC – Falls Among Older Adults
Falls Prevention Coalition Members/Resources:
- American Ambulance:
- Independence Physical Therapy:
- Medications Linked to Falls
- Medications and Falls: Addressing the Risk Through Pharmacist-Led Quality Initiatives
- Medications Associated With Falls in the Elderly
- Medications and the Risk of Falling
Physical Activity Resources:
- Choosing and Starting an Exercise Program
- Exercise & Physical Activity
- Ejercicio y Actividad Fisica
- National Institute of Health – Senior Health