The Groton Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention (GASP)
Our mission: To build a healthy, safe and drug-free community through advocacy and education
- To increase the number of Groton youth participating in programs that build protective factors from using a combination of science-based and other effective programs.
- To intervene to reduce and prevent substance abuse of all drugs among Groton youth.
GASP was formed in July 1999 to address substance abuse in our community among our youth population (12-18 years of age). The coalition represents a collaboration of several dedicated, local agencies, parents, teens, and other interested community members:
GASP is funded by the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) and the Southeastern Regional Action Council (SERAC).
Tips for Keeping Your Teen’s Party Alcohol-Free
- Work with your teen on a guest list ahead of time and set a limit on the number of attendees.
- Ask teens to leave purses or backpacks in locked cars or at the front door. Discourage teens from going back and forth from your home to their cars.
- Lock up any alcohol in your home
- Provide plenty to keep them entertained. Use TV, swimming pool, video games, karaoke machines, etc.
- Provide plenty of space for them to hang out comfortably where you can see them but not hover over them.
- Do not use a punch bowl or pitchers.
- Monitor behavior by circulating your home and interacting with teens.
- Never let a teen you believe to be impaired drive home.
For more information, visit bethewall.org
2020 National Prevention Week Challenge
2020 National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week (#NDAFW) Challenge
- GASP NDAFW Crossword
- GASP NDAFW Fill In the Blank Challenge
- GASP NDAFW Matching Challenge
- GASP NDAFW Word-Search
- Adverse Health Effects of Marijuana Use
- Cash from cannabis companies creates conflicted researchers
- Review Investigates Adverse Effects of Cannabidiol
- NEW! Cannabis: The Current State of Affairs
- A Guide for Alcohol Delivery and Carry Out
- SAMHSA: Marijuana Resources
- Become a member of the Groton Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention! Make a difference in the lives of Groton youth. Contact Carolyn Wilson at 860-446-3062 or email@example.com for more information.
- 2018 Groton Youth Report
- 2019 Yearly Accomplishments
- 2019 Info Brief
- GASP Timeline