The waters of Long Island and Fishers Island Sounds provide access to some of the best shellfishing grounds on the Connecticut coast. Ledge Light Health District, in cooperation with our member municipalities’ shellfish commissions and the State of Connecticut Department of Aquaculture, works to assure that the recreational and commercial shellfishing areas remain open and sanitary. LLHD Conducts periodic shoreline surveys to investigate complaints of possible point source pollution (point source pollutants are those that flow directly, usually out of a pipe or specified trench/ditch, into a surface water source).
Questions regarding shell fishing bed status should be directed to:
- Groton Shellfish Infoline: 860-441-6793
- Stonington Shellfish Hotline: 860-599-7575
- Waterford/East Lyme Shellfish Hotline: 860-444-5812
- Connecticut Department of Aquaculture: 203-874-0696
- Shellfish Harvesting Precautions